Surprisingly, one of the easiest things when moving to the Mac, is getting all of your previous files from the PC moved over. It’s actually something a lot of newcomers have questions about. Here’s how to do it:
- On your Mac, open up System Preferences.
- In System Preferences, click on the Sharing icon.
- Near the top of the window, change your Computer Name to something else, preferably with one name (i.e. Mason).
- Now, check the File Sharing service in the left pane.
- Once you’ve done that, click on the Options button located in the bottom right.
- Check the “Share files and folders using SMB”. Make sure you check the Account name right below too.
- Quit System Preferences and go to your Windows PC now.
- From the Start menu, go to Run.
- Type in
\masonMason(i.e. mason is my Mac’s admin name, and Mason is my Computer Name).
- Then a window will prompt you for your username and password. Type in the same username and password you do on your Mac.
- After doing that, you will see all of your Mac’s folders in a new window.
- I recommend just dragging the files you want directly onto the corresponding Mac folder.
- It can take a while depending on your file sizes.
- That’s it!