To perform a few simple maintenance scripts on your Mac, I would recommend just using Terminal. Although your Mac automatically runs these maintenance scripts at 3-5 AM (if your Mac is on), it is still a pretty good idea to run these scripts manually just to clear any problems up you may be having.
Here are instructions on how to run maintenance scripts on your Mac:
- Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
- When Terminal loads up, type in
sudo periodic daily weekly monthly
- Once you have typed all of that correctly, hit the Return key.
- After hitting the Return key, you will be asked for your password.
- Type your Admin password then hit the Return key.
- Let the scripts run until they are finished.